Tuesday, November 4, 2008

juicycampus

I left class really confused about my feelings towards Juicycampus.com as well as some other things that were mentioned during our discussion. I had seen the website before and was kind of amused by it, I glanced at it and didn't really think anything of it (which I think is how others should view it)but after people who I knew were being named (full names) I got incredibly wary of it. Why is directed and specific slander ethical? Why isn't HWS doing anything about it?We had discussed in class how HWS was drawing the line of comments that directly addressed physical violence. This may be true, but having over heard people talk about all the negative ramifications of this site, some said the individuals targeted are suing the site as well as the school for allowing this site to still exist within the HWS community.

Today's class discussion was interesting to me and one that I wanted to soak in rather than participate in. It is hard to debate something like this which has such moral and ethical ties attached to it - very similar to our conversation at the beginning of the year concerning data mining-everyone is going to view things in a different light. For instance, Professor Dean as well as some others argued that you are exposing yourself to the site, therefore you shouldn't let the posts affect you. However, this site has had extensive ramifications already, how far are we going to let this bullying go?Are we going to wait until someone commits suicide just because we want another form of mind numbing entertainment?

It is rather dramatic to say that peoples lives change drastically because of the posts on Juicycampus,yet how can one not internalize those negative feelings?What do others think?

-Anna

3 comments:

Jen, the Cookie Empress said...

I find the site to be a form of cyberbullying. As former victim of that, I can tell you the damage that it does to your emotional state, psyche, self-esteem etc.
That's what I think of it

That aside, I didn't see the analogy to the data mining debate until you mentioned it. Good eye, Anna.

Tesekkür ederim said...

Everyone knows its not the nicest thing going, but intervention from HWS to stop the site would not last 5 minutes. There is almost nothing they can do about this, except just wait for it to go away. Also, I know the majority of people would be much more angry if HWS did try to do something.
-Tom

Tesekkür ederim said...

Tom, I definitely see your point that intervention wouldn't last that long , why can't HWS just get rid of their participation in the site?

-Anna-