Thursday, November 6, 2008

Juicy Campus and class reaction

I think the small size of HWS definitely makes the impact of juicy campus much greater than at larger schools. The fact that everyone is familiar with everyone makes it a much more personal issue because when you see someone's name mentioned, there is a good chance you know who they are.

I liked class today how we were able to break up into smaller groups for the discussion about Juicy Campus because I feel like you can contribute your ideas more than when it is the large group discussion. I'm glad that each group came out with just about the same opinions on what to do about the website because I definitely feel like taking action against it could only make it worse. The email that was sent out to all the students was the worst thing they could've done because it makes everyone aware of what it is, and many people may have never heard about it.

-Mike

3 comments:

Tesekkür ederim said...

Mike, I completely agree. I had a different reaction to Juicycampus before todays class, and breaking up into smaller groups definitely helped those ideas come out. I had originally thought that the entire site was absolutely ridiculous and obscene- but our class discussion brought out the fact that when people keep talking and keep going onto the site, it makes it worse-as well as the email that was sent around to everyone.

-Anna-

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

Mike,

I agree. At first, I had a lot of mixed feelings about Juicycampus.com. The small group work was really nice because I got to hear some other people's voices. SOmetimes in a full class discussion, some people may not speak up and their point or opinion may be very informative. Your thoughts about contributing ideas is right on target with my opinion.

I think that Juicycampus is a very immature site. However, I don't think the school should take any action unless their is a physical threat. If the school takes action for no reason, I feel like it may make the situation worse. I think the website is a phase and people will get over it pretty quickly.

Sam

Tesekkür ederim said...

Mike, I agree that sending the email made it worse. It seems that thought of it potentially becoming worse never crossed their minds. I also enjoyed the smaller groups because of two reasons. First, because it streched the amount of opinions and discussion because of the several groups. Second, it padded the comfort zone for some who may not feel comfortable with sharing their ideas with the whole class.

-Abe