Thursday, November 13, 2008

Comments

The book Gamer Theory is really interesting so far because it compares video games to real life. This made me think about the reason why companies want to make video game so close to real life. I realized I could link this thought with something else we read recently that said that we are more attracted and engaged in something the closer it relates to us. Games like Grand Theft Auto, and even Socom if you plan on Xbox life is scarely real. You are in a battle zone, the object is to win. There are no explanation of the rules or why or how something is done. The object of the game is to not get killes and become victorious.
I enjoyed how work compared this to real life because I see this world as a rat race. It is referred to as the land of opportunity therefor, each player wants his or her piece of the pie. Work is play and play becomes work. We want the education and the degrees, all pieces of a larger puzzle that will hopefully result in us winnning, which in this case means an exciting career and monetary reward. I also think that the way the world is set up, I don't think there is anyway of escaping it. If you are not taking part of the race, what are you doing? standing still.

-Abe

3 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

Yeah, people always say that we need progress. Standing still is somehow bad in our society. But why can we not just slow down? Why does everything has to be a race instead of walk on the beach?

By
Merel van Helden

Tesekkür ederim said...

I'm not sure if I agree with this. I mean I understand where you are coming from when you say things don't always need to be a race, but standing still in my opinion isn't something I think is beneficial. Perhaps this is just the culture I was raised in so I wouldn't understand a 'slower paced world'. Can you imagine if things just stopped?People would not know how to function or act, or behave. I think it would be nice to slow down, but I'm not if our society can handle it.

-Anna-

Tesekkür ederim said...

I agree with you Abe because I always feel like everyone is just rushing around in the rat race trying to get things done and make all the money they possibly can, not that there is much wrong with that. I think it would be somewhat beneficial for a lot of people to slow down and take some time to enjoy themselves once in a while.

-Mike