Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thoughts on Chapter 3 "Ispy"

Chapter 3 in ispy most interested me because of the Taylor system which was gradually formed into a system in the workplace which used employees demographic information. I believe this system is positive and negative. It is positive because this helps many advertisers and other companies reach out and target the right audience: age, interests and stances. While at this radio station during the summer in New York City, I often talked with the sales manager there and he explained to me how the station targets its consumers. This happens mainly by using market research to determine who listens to the radio station and what their interests are, which will then help the station in deciding which advertisers to partner with.
The downside to this I believe are the credit card companies and telemarketers who hound people into getting an auto loan or try to sway them to take a survey in the wee hours of the night. Unfortunately, a new system I began to see rise are telemarketers contacting cell phone numbers which is even more annoying because most people use them primarily. Going back to the story, I believe the system is mainly positive because you usually have to take the good with the bad and hope the positive reigns supreme.

-Abe-

No comments: