Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Class Discussion 9/16

The discussion in class today was very strange for me to listen to. I didn't say much because I guess I have a very different outlook on privacy when compared to the general consensus of the class. It bothers me very little that people can data mine and gather harmless information like that about me. I feel that overall, it can only benefit me that they post advertisements of things that I seem to be interested in based on my searches and emails. This just means that I will have to waste less time searching for something I want or something that interests me that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Also, I have nothing to hide, which could be a big reason that I'm not really concerned with companies, and even the government, getting ahold personal information.

Having discussed /b/tards and trolls, I can't honestly say that nothing worries me about privacy on the internet because the way they are able to obtain personal information is pretty impressive. The only real things that would cause me concern if it went public would be my SS# and my credit card info. 

-Mike

3 comments:

BG said...

Good points. I find it interesting that you went into the discussion today and still remain not very much concerned with the personal information that companies may obtain about you. I do see the benefits you address in the customization aspect of searching for something on the internet. And yes most of us do not have anything to hide. I am just a little more wary of what other people can see about me.

JColburn1 said...

I agree with many of your points, I am not as nervous as many people about people having info about me. I also like the customization. I agree with BG's comments that I am not more aware of the info these companies are obtaining, however this has not really scared me yet.

I hope you get a chance to voice your opinion more in the next discussion, because it is nice to hear in class that there are people who agree with me.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

Mike,

I agree with what you are saying. I think if you spoke up in class, you would find more students that agree with you. Don't be nervous. (I should listen to my own advice)

Like you, I have nothing to hide so I am not to worried about people searching about me. If it comes to the point where they are invading me identity in any way, then we have a problem.

Good post. I enjoyed it.

-Sam