Sunday, September 21, 2008

class discussion & organization

For me, Thursday's class discussion was a little bit  frustrating to me. I liked that we didn't just put the conversation we had previously been having  on Tuesday on the back burner, but a more structured atmosphere could potentially yield a better discussion. What do others think? These are extremely important issues, the question of public and private information on the internet, and it is hard to tell someone that their opinions and levels of comfort regarding privacy is wrong. We are obviously all raised differently and in different environments, so it is inevitable that people are going to have strong positions and feelings towards surveillance and issues of privatization. 

As for a new format to discussing such heated debates like we had on Thursday, everyone could come with something written regarding their position, providing a center for discussion rather than a free for all. What do others think?

-Anna-

4 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

Anna,

Can you explain the last part of your post. So if we decided to talk about one specific issue in class on, lets say a Tuesday. Are you suggesting that the students come to class with something written down on their point of view?

I can see how that would help the flow of class discussion. I think that would get everyone involved too.

However, sometimes I don't mind the chaos. At certain times, I like to see people get fired up and express their point of view. Gives the class a little spark.

Sam

Tesekkür ederim said...

Sam,
I agree that sometimes chaos can be beneficial, but it's frustrating when the conversation moves so quickly your point gets lost in that confusion. It is definitely interesting to hear people when they are passionate about their point of view and makes for an interesting as well as entertaining discussion.

About the last part of my post-yes I think if someone came to class having written something just general about what they think, or even simply I agree with this and explain why, it would make the discussion in a more productive direction.

-Anna-

Tesekkür ederim said...

Anna,
I think this is a good idea. Having people write their positions and opinions on paper is more orderly and structured than having a free for all discussion where people are shooting down each other. I didn't mind the discussion this past Thursday because it was engaging and it made everyone participate which is always crucial.


Abe

JColburn1 said...

I am not sure I see a significant difference in your idea and the current way. We already do this; we blog about our opinions on the the readings and then discuss them in class. I think this is the same as writing it on paper and bringing it to class.

I would prefer if we take a few central arguments to attack that day, and that would clear up the discussion and keep it somewhat organized.