Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The limitless internet

The internet over the past fifteen years has grown from a small idea to an enormous, nearly limitless superhighway. A phrase I often heard while growing up in my adolescence years is having "anything at your fingertips". I believe America's greed has fueled this unstoppable force we know as the internet. In my opinion the internet takes this phrase too literally. A few clicks here and a few clicks there and boom! you can easily access a person's home address and phone number. Teenagers are the main people suffering from the internet's growth spurt. Just yesterday I was watching a automobile commercial and I liked the song I heard in the background, this prompted me to look it up and lo and behold I found it ten seconds! I don't believe there are any limits left because convenience overpowers censorship. This limitless cyberspace leaves me with several questions:
For a teenage student, whats the use of doing homework when you can get the answers online?

Why watch television shows and music videos when you can download them from Limewire and Bittorent?

Why even go to class when you can enroll in online classes?

I believe the limits that are left are within people's own judgment. For instance, if there's an artist you enjoy, you would rather support that artist and buy the album though you have the convenient option of downloading it in minutes. Same goes for college, I would rather physically be on a college campus and live, sweat and breathe the college experience. My main point is that if people limit themselves there are limits left, if they want the easy life then the world is realistically at your fingertips...

No comments: