Thursday, October 23, 2008

class today

I really enjoyed the video's as well. I've been reading some of the other comments about the video's from the other blogs, and am in full concurrence.  I was impressed with everyone's knowledge about how to put together a 3-4 minute video in such an informative and interactive way. Even within my own group, I was extremely impressed. At our group meeting we all exchanged the information we had gathered and some of the things my group members created was astonishing (for instance the candidates as cartoons). We all really learned from each other, which was a fun challenge and interesting process. 

I said this in class that this video project really forced us to learn the actual points of Rebooting America. When we did our powerpoint presentations, I feel like the point of it was to see who could put the best presentation together during the class period, not on mastering the material. The video project was a new outlet for all of us. For me, especially  I like visual things, sometimes even more than words, so this experience  was a different and better one. 

Having to represent the points from Rebooting America in a creative, funny, and interactive way was really interesting in that having a focus and not deviating from that focus was essential and made us really think about what articles and what research would be prominent in our video. The one thing I wish we had known we could have made a longer video. So many times during our group meeting did people suggest different things that would have applied to our theme of the internet as the new form of media, but we had to cut things out. I wish we had asked you Professor Dean if we could have expanded our video. But I was pleased with the way it came out nonetheless. 

An interesting point that was brought up by Yanina towards the end of class that I kept thinking on was the argument that the internet was only a form of communication and not action. A part of me disagrees with this-for instance think of all the teenagers who find ingredients for bombs, or drugs, or how to find weapons. The internet to me is dangerous because it displays knowledge, yet anyone can access it and do what they want with it  . . . aka take action. 

-Anna-

3 comments:

J said...

Anna--I'm happy to read your comment and also appreciated the point you made in class. Regarding communication and action--maybe that's something you want to explore further? maybe for your final project?

Tesekkür ederim said...

Perhaps, is there enough information about the internet not just as a means of communication but as a form of social action? How would I make this into a creative and innovative final project?

-Anna-

Tesekkür ederim said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the video presentation. As a Media & Society major, I was astonished with the group who made the newscast video. It is so interesting to realize how much can be accomplished through a collective effort. This was a great project that fully shows that a TEAM effort was put forth.

-Abe