Monday, October 27, 2008

Chapter Response

After reading Professor Dean's chapter on Communicative Capatilism I would like to touch on the topics of whether democracy has failed and the topic of enhanced communication access facilitating democracy. I dont think democracy has failed, I think it has morphed into something other then its traditional self. As Professor Dean states, "there is a significant disconnect between politics circulating as content and official politics" (Dean, 102). I don't see disconnection I perceive this as change. Market and spectacle are influencing politics because of the popularity of advertising and technological progress. Yes, I think more forms of public expression just add to the clutter, but it strengthens public opinion. People who have bitten their tongues or have been lazy or seen it as inconvenient to attend town hall meetings are now able to anonomously express their feelings in forums, chat rooms and tools like twitter. I think this constant circulation of content makes it easier for inclusion to take place.
I don't agree when Professor Dean stated "the more opinions or comments that are out there, the less of an impact any one given one might take" (Dean 107). The reason I don't agree is because of the large impact the internet has had on the presidential election. If polls, positions on subjects and other matters were important than millions of dollars would not be spent on advertising and "selling" each respective candidate. Times have changed because this election has revolutionized the way we get a candidate into the white house. The ads, the merchandise and the forums are all proactive because they allow people to actively participate through voicing their views and having their say even if every single person is not being heard. The circulation of this idealistic inclusion is what is so intriguing and what fuels the fire behind this technological surge.
I believe that technological fetish does not give the illusion that citizens are engaged, but realistically allows everyone to be heard and everyone to be in the know by staying informed with more convenient access to the subject matter due to technology. I also don't agree with the statement that technology is doing everything for us, referring to political responsibility. I believe technology is providing us with more options and opportunities to be engaged. Lastly, it is true that having technology of this caliber can give anyone the chance to put in their two cents, but I think the pros outweigh the cons and communication is stretched beyond usual boundaries when circulation is achieved because people who will never talk face to face can discuss nearly any subject on what I believe to be a level playing field.

-Abe

No comments: