Tuesday, October 28, 2008

3 fantasies & class today

Today's class was both frustrating and beneficial for me. There are some aspects of a lecture format that I like, but people (especially) me learn from a hands on experience. However, your article Professor Dean was, like you said quite technical so your explanation was really helpful, but slightly over my head still. 

One of your points Professor Dean was regarding abundance and participation. Your thoughts on participation, particularly what you called, " the registration effect", when individuals feel like they are contributing and helping, makes one feel political sustains and maintains inequality. This correlates to some of the issues were discussing surrounding monitoring and data mining. Earlier in the year I had adopted the point that data mining and monitoring were boundary crossing and incredibly invasive. However, we perpetuate this phenomena. Every time we enter information into our computers (when we are online) we are helping the shift in balance and power. When you said this, were you specifically talking about online blogging ->things like twitter or political networks online , which  Shirky name as "alist"?

-Anna-

6 comments:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

Anna,

I know what you mean when you say the article was overwhelming. It was hard for me to comprehend, but I really thought it was helpful that Prof. Dean lectured. To play devil's advocate, since the reading was very technical, maybe it would have been nice to hear form some students. Sometimes students tend to simplify things and that helps other students understand material better. Either way, I think it was helpful to have Prof. Dean talk about her chapter.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

From Sam

Tesekkür ederim said...

Yes anna that is a good question about weather Professor Dean agrees with the advancement of data mining. I think you should bring that up in class on Thursday. Does this distancing and using data mining to further the government and private companies continue this disconnect. That is a very interesting point, if companies and the government have this incentive to continue then I imagine it is that much hard to truly put things in a different directoin
Corey

Tesekkür ederim said...

Addressing Sam's point-I guess you are right to say that lecturing helps with the technical aspect of the article,maybe it was the language that was confusing me, I'm not quite sure.

Corey-I honestly think distancing and data mining perpetuates the growing "disconnect", as you said, between government and private companies. What is going to stop us from feeding them our information?As long as there is such a thing as an internet, we are too complacent a society to NOT give into private companies and government data mining.

-Anna-

David said...

I think that the only thing that can stop this growing disconnect is a sustained and concerted effort on our (the citizens - millenials to be specific) part. Of course, a reconstruction of power would necessarily come with this, and that holds its own set of problems. Is it possible to change this, or is it too late? Have we become too comfortable?

Tesekkür ederim said...

I think we have grown too complacent so the reconstruction of power you talk about seems to only be solved by a revolution. Perhaps there are little things each citizen can do in his\her daily life to make the problem of perpetuating data mining and inequality decrease, but on a global level?I think it is too late-it is set in our culture.

-Anna-